Rust is my new obsession.
Whilst walking my dog I’m scanning the floor for any unique little pieces of ageing metal. Even in the dark I’m attempting, and failing, to find those little treasures. See that’s the thing with finding old pieces of metal, they are 100% unique but also very hard to find. Despite it being all these amazing things, it’s extremely difficult to work with due to its fragile nature. Riveting it to other pieces of metal is proving to be pretty hard.
Over the past few weeks my theme has changed. Originally I was looking at ageing brickwork and the way in which older bricks at start to show through after you add nature into the mix. I was particularity interested in an old building down the Seagate with brown brickwork working showing through the new red. I found the lines and shapes of this interesting but I got bored and hit a wall.
After the Interim Crit, I realised that I should solely look into abandoned buildings. I needed to dig deeper into why I enjoy my free time photographing and searching for buildings which have been left to nature. I think one of the reasons, and what I am looking into within this project, is the fact that something can look normal on the outside but a mess on the inside.
My idea was to create and have a ‘peering through a window’ feel to my final design. I wanted to combine the new and the old, something which looked beautiful and something which looked like it had had a rather hard life. This is where the rust comes in. I decided to combine pieces of rusting metal with pieces of brand new copper. I then experienced with different wire work to create window like shapes. I used the knit machine and twisted coloured wire to created small shapes which I’m using as small, subtle windows. I cut the copper into jagged shapes to show the deterioration and brokenness of the abandonment. The copper, however, was looking just a little too clean for me so I decided to add some patination. I really liked the look of this as the windows and buildings, which I looked at during my research, where covered in peeling paint and different moulds and lichens. The patination really added an element of this into my samples.